May 22, 1833
A lengthy editorial in the Arkansas Gazette welcomed 140 immigrants from Germany to the Little Rock (Pulaski County) area. It is assumed that a number of these newcomers were of the Lutheran faith, since within three years, there were known to be sixty German-Lutheran families living near Little Rock. The first formal Lutheran congregations were started in Fort Smith (Sebastian County) and Little Rock, both in 1868. In 2017, there were over eighty congregations in Arkansas.