June 30, 1973
The Arkansas State Tuberculosis Sanatorium officially closed, and the main gates were left unlocked for the first time in more than sixty years. The facility later reopened as the Booneville Human Development Center and is classified as a historic site. The sanatorium was established in 1909 about three miles south of Booneville (Logan County). Once fully established, the sanatorium was the relocation center for all white Arkansans with tuberculosis. By the time the facility closed, it had treated more than 70,000 patients, and, in time, its main hospital, the Nyberg Building, became known worldwide for its tuberculosis treatment.