February 2, 1949
Forty-nine boxcars that had been shipped to the United States aboard the merchant ship Magellan arrived in New York Harbor. This Merci Train, which was filled with gifts collected throughout France, was in response to food and supply shipments sent by people from the United States to post–World War II western Europe. Each state received one boxcar containing between 500 and 600 gifts, and one was shared by the District of Columbia and the territory of Hawaii. The one designated for Arkansas arrived in North Little Rock (Pulaski County) on February 13, 1949, and the items were displayed initially at the Rock Island freight depot; later they were displayed at the State Capitol.