December 6, 1850
Calhoun County was founded, named after John C. Calhoun, vice president of the United States. Its county seat is Hampton. The county has only four incorporated towns or cities, but it is home to many archaeological sites dating from before the time of European exploration. Known for cotton production in the nineteenth century, modern-day Calhoun County produces timber, sand, and gravel. Its population density of 7.5 people per square mile, per the 2020 census, makes it the most sparsely populated of Arkansas’s seventy-five counties.