November 1, 2000
The first Strengthen the Arm of Liberty Monument in Arkansas was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The monument stood in front of the Pine Bluff Library on Fifth Avenue from 1950 to the mid-l960s, when the library and the Pine Bluff city offices moved to the new, Edward Durrell Stonedesigned Pine Bluff Civic Center. The statue was moved to the center of a grassy median adjacent to the Civic Center. The Strengthen the Arm of Liberty Monuments in Pine Bluff (Jefferson County) and Fayetteville (Washington County) are replicas of the Statue of Liberty. They were erected in the 1950s as part of a patriotism campaign conducted by the Boy Scouts of America.