May 20, 2008
Carrollton Road was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Carrollton Road was part of an east-west road that crossed northern Arkansas in the 1830s and is noteworthy as one of the few documented roads used by the John Benge Detachment of Cherokee during the Indian Removal of the late 1830s. The John Benge Detachments route through northern Arkansas has been one of the most difficult for researchers to pinpoint, largely because of the lack of documentary materials outlining the journey. However, all major sources agree that the detachment traveled through Carrollton, and based on the 1837 Government Land Office map of the region, the Carrollton RoadCarrollton Segment was the only road through town at the time of Indian Removal.