June 21, 2009

The so-called Headquarters House in Fayetteville (Washington County) was built in 1853 by Judge Jonas Tebbetts. A staunch Unionist during the Civil War, Tebbetts and fled the house with his family in late 1862, never to return. It saw extensive damage during the 1863 Action at Fayetteville and was used as a headquarters by opposing sides at various times. The house was turned over to the Washington County Historical Society in 1967, which now operates it as a museum of history.

Share

SUPPORT THE EOA

Support the Encyclopedia of Arkansas with a one-time donation or a recurring monthly gift.

MAKE A DONATION TODAY

LATEST POSTS & ENTRIES

Get emails from the Encyclopedia of Arkansas to be notified about the latest blog posts, newest entries, and more.

SUBSCRIBE