May 17, 2009
The so-called Headquarters House in Fayetteville (Washington County) was built in 1853 by Judge Jonas Tebbetts. A staunch Unionist during the Civil War, Tebbetts fled the house with his family in late 1862, never to return. It suffered extensive damage during the 1863 Action at Fayetteville and was used as a headquarters by opposing sides at various times. The house was turned over to the Washington County Historical Society in 1967, which now operates it as a museum of history.