August 10, 2012
The Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) was a fraternal society for Union veterans. The first GAR posts (chapters) originated in Illinois around 1865. At the society’s peak, more than 100 GAR posts were formed across Arkansas. Across the nation, many monuments commemorating the role of the members of the GAR in the war were erected. Only two such monuments were erected in Arkansas: one in Siloam Springs (Benton County) and this one erected in 1894 at Evergreen Cemetery in Judsonia (White County).