August 16, 2010
The Gann Museum of Saline County is located in the only building in the nation known to be constructed of bauxite. The building, built in 1893, became the office of Dr. Dewell Gann Sr. His patients who could not afford to pay for his services built it for him. Dr. Gann’s son gave the building to the city in 1946, and, in 1980, it was converted into a museum that houses a large collection of Arkansas artifacts. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.