January 18, 2010

During the Flood of 1937, floodwaters inundated 1,037,500 acres of agricultural land and 756,800 acres of other land, affecting 40,916 families and their livestock. To shelter the evacuees, the Arkansas Red Cross established seventy-five camps (tent cities) and concentration centers (existing structures) equipped with special livestock corrals. Shown here is one of those camps, located at Forrest City (St. Francis County).

Share

SUPPORT THE EOA

Support the Encyclopedia of Arkansas with a one-time donation or a recurring monthly gift.

MAKE A DONATION TODAY

LATEST POSTS & ENTRIES

Get emails from the Encyclopedia of Arkansas to be notified about the latest blog posts, newest entries, and more.

SUBSCRIBE