December 31, 2011
The St. Louis Southwestern No. 819 (SSW 819), constructed in 1943, was the last 4-8-4 locomotive steam engine built in Arkansas. At a cost of $143,607, the engine, which was built in Pine Bluff (Jefferson County), was officially placed on active service on February 8, 1943. After ten and a half years of service and 804,000 miles traveled, it was retired. In 1955, it was presented to the City of Pine Bluff by Cotton Belt officials. The engine has been restored and is part of the collection of the city’s Arkansas Railroad Museum in Pine Bluff. This photo was taken at the Fordyce on the Cotton Belt Festival in 1986.