September 1, 2012
The Museum of Discovery, founded in 1927 as the Museum of Natural History and Antiquities, is the oldest museum in Little Rock (Pulaski County). The museum, first housed in a downtown storefront, was founded by local author Bernie Babcock in response to the commonly held belief outside the state that Arkansas had no cultural centers. The museum was later moved to City Hall then MacArthur Park, where it remained until 1997. In 1998, the museum reopened in the Terminal Warehouse Building, located in the River Market District of downtown Little Rock. In December 2010, the museum closed for renovations. Reopened in January 2012 as a Donald W. Reynolds Science Center, its focus is on earth, physical, and life sciences.