February 3, 2010
In 1934, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Forest Service established one of the first experimental forests in the southern United States near Crossett (Ashley County). Although it closed for a few years in the mid-1970s, the newly rededicated Crossett Experimental Forest (CEF) opened with considerable fanfare on February 14, 1979. Although no scientists are currently stationed there, the CEF maintains an active program of forestry research and demonstration. A group is shown here in 1940 examining a pulpwood and post-thinning area.