January 8, 2009
One of the most impressive structures in Arkansas is the reinforced concrete bridge with distinctive rainbow arches that spans the White River at Cotter (Baxter County). Built in 1930, it is the first bridge in Arkansas to be included as a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark. In 2002, the bridge was closed and underwent intensive restoration. The structure, which was named in honor of county judge R. M. Ruthven, was reopened to traffic in 2004. It is shown here in 2008.