November 11, 2012
In late 1890, the Ex-Confederate Association of Arkansas remodeled a residence located on sixty acres near Sweet Home (Pulaski County) for the care of indigent Confederate veterans and widows. Approximately two years later, this new Confederate Home (shown here) was built and later remodeled. By 1955, the number of residents, now only widows, were so few that they were moved to a small building constructed on the grounds of the Arkansas Schools for the Blind and Deaf in Little Rock (Pulaski County). The home officially closed in 1963.