January 6, 2010
Pharmacist Frank Coffin operated one of the first black-owned drugstores in Little Rock (Pulaski County), the Children’s Drug Store, which he purchased in 1898. A native of Mississippi, Coffin held a Ph.G. degree from Fisk University and a pharmaceutical degree from Meherry Medical College, both in Nashville, Tennessee. He was also a published poet and served for a time as the secretary for Philander Smith College. Shown here is a 1930s-era ad for the Children’s Drug Store.