July 24, 2009
Large octagonal iron posts were placed in the ground to mark the official boundaries of the Choctaw Nation in 1877. Three sides of the post were marked: one reading 1877, another Choc, and the final side Ark. Shown here is mile marker no. 94, east of De Queen (Sevier County), marking the boundary from Fort Smith (Sebastian County) to the Red River.