January 13, 2007

One of the many attractions at the Sharp County real estate development known as Cherokee Village is the recreation-orientated Cherokee Village Community Center, pictured here. Cherokee Village was founded as a summer resort in 1954 by land developer John Cooper. Starting as a 2,400-acre tract, the area began to attract large numbers of retirees by the early 1960s. The resort was soon transformed into a haven for Northern retirees and, by the 1980s, encompassed almost 14,000 acres. The success of Cherokee Village helped transform Arkansas into one of the most popular retirement destinations in the United States.

Share

SUPPORT THE EOA

Support the Encyclopedia of Arkansas with a one-time donation or a recurring monthly gift.

MAKE A DONATION TODAY

LATEST POSTS & ENTRIES

Get emails from the Encyclopedia of Arkansas to be notified about the latest blog posts, newest entries, and more.

SUBSCRIBE