October 19, 2007
In the early 1950s, this house was the home of the Carmelite Monastery of St. Teresa of Jesus, an order of the Discalced Carmelite Nuns in Little Rock (Pulaski County). By 1959, the order, having outgrown its Louisiana Street location, was looking for a new home. But the immediate reason for relocation was the monastery’s proximity to the Little Rock School Board Headquarters. In 1959, the headquarters was one of three Little Rock sites bombed by members of the segregationist White Citizens’ Council. Damage to the monastery precipitated a relocation of the order.