August 30, 2011
Cane Hill School in Washington County opened its doors in 1835 and, in 1852, became a college for men. The school closed at the start of the Civil War, during which three of the schools four buildings were burned. The school reopened after the war and, in 1875, became the first four-year school in the state to enroll women. After an 1885 fire that destroyed the school facilities, this brick building was constructed. The college moved to Clarksville (Johnson County) in 1891, eventually evolving into the University of the Ozarks.