October 27, 2010
This photo shows a part of the barracks at Camp Pike, a military training camp built near North Little Rock (Pulaski County) in 1917. The installation, named in honor of military officer Zebulon Pike, consisted of more than 3,000 buildings and was large enough to house more than 50,000 recruits. The 87th Division was trained at the camp before being shipped to Europe. At the end of the war, the camp served as a demobilization center. Much of the camp was dismantled and sold after the war. However, during World War II, the acreage of the camp was increased, and the camp was renamed Camp Joseph T. Robinson in 1937.