October 14, 2010
Scottish stonemason Robert Brownlee (seated in center) learned his trade while apprenticed to his brother as a young man. While cutting stone for the new state capitol building in North Carolina, he learned of the need for stone cutters in Arkansas. He and three friends moved to Little Rock (Pulaski County) in 1836 and formed McVicar and Company. Soon, they were working on the new Arkansas Capitol, setting the foundation for the east and west wings of the building known today as the Old State House. During his career, Brownlee helped build several other historic Pulaski County structures.