September 23, 2007
In 1868, the Institute for the Education of the Blind, founded in Arkadelphia (Clark County) in 1859, moved to Little Rock (Pulaski County). The school, renamed the Arkansas School for the Blind in 1877, was moved to a more central location to serve the state’s sight-impaired population. Eventually, the school occupied this impressive building on Center Street. It was relocated to West Markham in 1939, where it remains in the twenty-first century.