April 6, 2012
Spanning the Arkansas River in Little Rock (Pulaski County) is the Baring Cross Bridge, one of the six bridges in the downtown area. The first railroad bridge opened in 1873, named after the bridge finance company, Baring and Company, and a cross from the family coat of arms of the president of the Cairo and Fulton Railroad. In 1877, a wooden deck, which was lowered to the rail level in 1886, was built on top of the bridge for regular traffic. A portion of the bridge, as shown here, was washed away in the Flood of 1927.