June 2, 2007
Albert King, one of the most influential blues guitarists of the twentieth century, moved to Osceola (Mississippi County) in 1931. King, known as one of the three “Kings of the Blues,” was left-handed; thus, he played his guitar upside down and backwards. King was so popular in 1968 that he was booked as the opening act for the soon-to-be famous rock and roll venue Fillmore West. Upon his death in 1992, he was laid to rest with a jazz-style funeral procession down Memphis’s famous Beale Street.