April 28, 2010
The Polk County town of Mena was founded in 1896 by railroad developer Arthur Stilwell. Due to his important role in founding the town, he was given the honor of naming the growing railroad community. He chose the name Mena, which was a pet name that he had for his wife, Jennie. Shown here in 1897 is the town’s first meat market, owned by M. E. Pumphrey.