February 9, 2007
In the mid-1930s, one of the most popular radio shows starred Lum and Abner, two fictional characters played by Chester Lauck and Norris Goff of Mena (Polk County). Their escapades centered around the fictional town of Pine Ridge. In 1931, during an elaborate ceremony on the steps of the state capitol, the town of Waters (Montgomery County) was renamed Pine Ridge. Seen in this undated photo is the Dick Huddleston Store located in Pine Ridge. The store was a gathering point for the characters in the radio show. Today, the building is the Lum and Abner Museum and is on the National Register of Historic Places.