May 12, 2007
The Searcy County town of Gilbert was founded when the railroad came to the area in 1913. Named in honor of the president of the Missouri and North Arkansas Railroad, the town had a prosperous timber business until the 1940s, when the railroad relocated. All that remains of the line is a bridge that crosses Dry Creek and the depot, shown here (1956). Today, Gilbert is the only private property located within the boundaries of the Buffalo National River.