May 4, 2011
When Yell County was founded in 1840, the settlement of Monrovia was designated as the county seat. By 1844, the local government had been moved to Danville, and a log courthouse was constructed. In 1875, when Dardanelle was also designated the county seat, Yell County became one of several Arkansas counties to have dual seats of government. The present Danville courthouse, shown here, is the fourth structure to house the county government in Danville since the 1840s.