March 31, 2010
Washington (Hempstead County), founded in 1824, was one of Arkansas Territorys early settlements. The town, which served as the county seat until 1939, was a major waystation on the Southwest Trail and was one of the last U.S. towns one passed through before entering Mexican territory. Washington prospered until the 1870s, when the railroad was constructed about nine miles away. About the time this photo of the post office was taken in the 1880s, the town began its slow decline. Today, the restored town, a historic treasure, is known as Historic Washington State Park.