April 13, 2007
The single-turret USS Arkansas (BM7) was one of the last monitors built by the U.S. Navy. The third U.S. ship to be named after the state, it was built in Newport News, Virginia, and launched on November 10, 1900. Seen here christening the ship at the launch is Mary L. Macon. The monitor’s career was spent in patrolling the waters of the Western Hemisphere. In 1909, it was renamed the USS Ozark.