May 29, 2012
Arkansas Conference College (ACC) was founded by the Methodist Episcopal Church of Arkansas in Siloam Springs (Benton County) in 1899. Although it closed its doors in 1917, ACC provided an academically rigorous education, primarily for the benefit of Arkansans. The school curriculum emphasized classical studies along with practical skills such as typing. Students and faculty are shown here in 1910, posing with what was reputed to be the largest telescope in Arkansas.