October 3, 2010
T. H. Barton, philanthropist and El Dorado (Union County) oil pioneer, moved to Arkansas just after the first oil discovery in Union County. He soon became the major stockholder in the Lion Oil Refining Company and eventually served as its president. A childhood interest in livestock led to his role as a major contributor to the establishment of the Arkansas State Fair. T. H. Barton Coliseum, located on the fairgrounds, was dedicated in his honor in 1952.