September 19, 2007
Today, what is known as the Old Wire Road was once a major connection to the world outside Arkansas. The road, which connected St. Louis, Missouri, with Fort Smith (Sebastian County), followed an old trail that was improved in the 1830s. Telegraph lines reached St. Louis in 1847 and were extended along the road into Arkansas by 1860. Typically, the wires were connected to poles provided by local residents or simply attached to trees, such as this post oak in Pope County. This is believed to be one of the last surviving Arkansas trees to be used for this purpose.