September 13, 2007
Approximately ten years after Jefferson County was formed in 1829, the local government financed the construction of a substantial brick courthouse. Much of the 1863 Action at Pine Bluff was fought near the structure. In 1908, when the Arkansas River left its banks in a major flood, many of the offices were purposely torn off the building and thrown into the river to prevent its complete collapse. After the waters subsided, the river was channeled away from the building, removing the danger. Unfortunately, the building, as shown in this early 1900s photograph, was destroyed by fire in 1976.