December 6, 2007
When Boone County was created in 1869, local postmaster Henry Frick became determined to create a new town as the county seat. He convinced Colonel Marcus LaRue Harrison (shown here), who was in the area surveying a railroad route, to lay out a new town. Harrison soon surveyed an area of wide streets and a courthouse square. In return for his work, the town was named Harrison in his honor.