July 26, 2010
Regimental mascots were very common during the Civil War. Old Abe, purchased for $2.50 in 1861 by members of Company C, was the mascot of the Eighth Wisconsin Infantry and was present at thirty-seven battles and engagements, including the 1864 Engagement of Old River Lake in Chicot County. Known to accompany the troops during battle, the eagle survived the war and was housed in a special room at the Wisconsin State Capitol. The eagle died in 1881 and was stuffed and kept in a museum display at the Wisconsin State Capitol until the building was destroyed by fire in 1904.