May 1, 2012
Built in 1896 as the Riverfront Commercial Hotel, the building was purchased by Laura Ziegler in 1898. With borrowed money, she renovated the building and opened it as a brothel in 1903. It became one of the most celebrated bordellos in the Southwest. By the 1950s, the business was closed and the building abandoned. Saved from demolition, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. By 1992, it was restored and opened as the city visitor center.