August 10, 2010

Between 1890 and 1950, White County became the center of strawberry cultivation in the United States. By 1935, local farmer A. W. Hoofman was shipping out approximately six million plants a year to every state in the Union, as well as several foreign countries. Before its decline in the 1950s, the strawberry business had grown into a $1.6 million-a-year enterprise. One of the more than 1,500 county train loads a year can be seen in this 1918 photo of wagon loads of berries being brought to the Judsonia (White County) train station for shipment.

Share

SUPPORT THE EOA

Support the Encyclopedia of Arkansas with a one-time donation or a recurring monthly gift.

MAKE A DONATION TODAY

LATEST POSTS & ENTRIES

Get emails from the Encyclopedia of Arkansas to be notified about the latest blog posts, newest entries, and more.

SUBSCRIBE