Powder Magazine (Scott County)
The Powder Magazine is located approximately fifty yards south of the junction of County Roads 96 and 99 in northeastern Scott County. The structure was built around 1935 by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 20, 1993.
The structure was built by the 1707th Company of the Arkansas CCC District, which was stationed at the Waldron Camp. The structure was intended to store explosives that were used for bridge and road construction, as well as other conservation projects such as erosion control within the Ouachita National Forest. The Powder Magazine is significant due to its association with the Civilian Conservation Corps, which made significant contributions to American social history.
The rustic structure is built from cut stone and concrete. The structure is simple in design, with four walls, a floor, and a roof. The base is approximately four feet wide and three feet long. The southern elevation is three feet tall, while the northern elevation is four and a half feet tall due to the structure being built on a slope. A small opening is located on the southern elevation. The structure is also covered with a shed roof that overhangs slightly on the southern elevation.
For additional information:
“Powder Magazine.” National Register of Historic Places registration form. On file at Arkansas Historic Preservation Program, Little Rock, Arkansas. Online at http://www.arkansaspreservation.com/National-Register-Listings/PDF/SC0021.nr.pdf (accessed September 17, 2019).
Richardson Preservation Consulting
No comments on this entry yet.
"*" indicates required fields