Cold Spring is located along County Road 93, just south of Forest Service Road 19 along Sugar Creek, in northeastern Scott County. The structure surrounding the spring was built around 1936 by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 21, 1993.
The Cold Spring structure was built by the 1707th Company of the Arkansas CCC District, which was stationed at the nearby Waldron Camp. The structure was built to help protect the head of the cold spring from contamination and to direct the flow of the water north to Sugar Creek. The conservation project was also an attempt to protect a source of clean water and control erosion of the landscape and roadways within a particular portion of the Ouachita Mountains. The structure is a simple yet functional design that remains significant due to its associations with the CCC, which made significant contributions to American society in the early twentieth century.
The rustic structure is made of stone and concrete masonry. The cover protecting the spring is made from concrete and contains two square holes with steel lids on the southeastern edge of the structure. On the north side of the structure are two square storage areas open to the environment. Water flows from the open-air storage areas into a small rectangular channel made from concrete and rock. The water then flows downhill into Sugar Creek from the channel. The structure is approximately twelve square feet, excluding the culvert that runs north to Sugar Creek.
For additional information:
“Cold Spring.” National Register of Historic Places registration form. On file at Arkansas Historic Preservation Program, Little Rock, Arkansas. Online at http://www.arkansaspreservation.com/National-Register-Listings/PDF/SC0023.nr.pdf (accessed July 3, 2018).
Richardson Preservation Consulting
No comments on this entry yet.
"*" indicates required fields