Defunct: Schools and Academies; Historic Preservation

Entry Category: Defunct: Schools and Academies; Historic Preservation

Coal Gap School

The Coal Gap School building is located in rural Benton County, approximately fifteen miles east of Rogers (Benton County). This is the third building in this location and sited near the two earlier sites. The origin of Coal Gap’s name is unknown, but it was possibly once known as Jennings Switch. The Coal Gap School was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on September 4, 1992, and is privately owned. Benton County records contain a list of school directors at the office of the county school supervisor’s office and state they were “elected by 1887,” indicating the first Coal Gap/Jennings Switch school’s existence at that time. Edmond L. Jennings received 160 acres on May 15, 1876, as part …