Architecture

Subcategories:
Clear

Entry Category: Architecture

Alexander George House

The Alexander George House was a historic home located in Little Rock (Pulaski County). Constructed between 1858 and 1859, the home served multiple functions, including as a hospital and an office for railroad companies. Although it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976, it was demolished in 1994 and removed from the register in 1999. Alexander George arrived in Little Rock from his birthplace in Germany in 1833 with his father and four brothers. The George brothers operated a variety of businesses in the Little Rock area over the next three decades, including a mercantile, brewery, and beer garden. Alexander George began a construction company in 1853 with John Robbins, and the two men won a …

Couch-Marshall House

Located in Magnolia (Columbia County), the Couch-Marshall House is an example of what has become known as the Plain Traditional style of architecture, which in this instance took on characteristics of the Queen Anne Revival style. The “high style” of the Queen Anne Revival type of residence had become the preferred style of design and construction in Arkansas by 1880 and was to remain so until the beginning of the twentieth century. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places on July 24, 1992. The house takes part of its name from Thomas G. Couch, who was born in Columbia County on February 28, 1852, not long after his parents had relocated from their ancestral home in …

Otis Theodore and Effiegene Locke Wingo House

The Otis Theodore and Effiegene Locke Wingo House, which was the home of two members of the U.S. House of Representatives, is located in De Queen (Sevier County). Constructed in 1904, the house received extensive modifications over the decades and includes both Queen Anne and Craftsman details. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on June 1, 2004. The wood-frame house originally included five bedrooms and was fronted by a porch. At an unknown date but likely in the 1920s, the house received extensive remodeling and an addition. The remodeling included removal of the original porch and the addition of a Craftsman-style porch. At the same time, a half-story extension was added to the rear of the …